7 Tips for Presenting Workshops to Adults.
- Understand that we all learn in different ways, develop plans and strategies to help adults learn. Importantly we need to feel free to direct our own learning process.
- Adults have a lot at risk when trying new behaviours or attempting new skills. Be supportive.
- Adults do not like long periods of inactivity, keep the lectures short and involvement long.
- Be sensitive, new information or ideas that conflict with beliefs take longer for us to absorb.
- Adults are goal-orientated.
- The physical environment is important – to learn effectively adults need to feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Like children, adults gain considerably from positve re-inforcement.
Recommend: Research Adult Learning Principles
New fiction writers information – Show it Don’t Tell it
Read Jessica Bell’s Show & Tell in a Nutshell (or visit her blog)
Visit Write to Done blog and devour How to show (not tell) A writing lesson from John LeCarre
Visit The Write Practice and practice The Secret to Show Not Tell penned by Joe Bunting